Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fall

Looking out my back window is the world's most vibrantly yellow tree. It's as if there is always sun shining through that window even when the skies are dark and gray. I have loved watching the transformation of my neighbors tree. At first I found it rather odd that only one small branch had a cluster of yellow leaves and the remainder were kelly green. Over the course of two weeks the tree has transformed into this big ball of happiness. It cheers me up every time I look out that window. I love fall!!! And, as a side note, I think every living soul should visit New England during the fall at least once in their lifetime. There is nothing like it.

Transformations...there has been some of that going on around our place. What with the access to the internet having been cut out of my life, I have truly "un-plugged." It has been one of the most freeing transformations in my life. I can't help but feel that I am a better person...however, my husband and kids may disagree. Another transformation has been taking place at the same time.

I am through with my first trimester and this pregnancy has probably been the hardest on myself and my family (which is pretty pathetic considering the horror stories I have heard from many of my other friends....I am a wuss). I have not been myself (you know, the cheery, bubbly, full of energy one). The other night we were watching "Ghostbusters" and I truly related with Sigourney Weaver's character after she has been possessed by that crazy dog controlled by Zoul. I have felt as though something has completely taken over my body and a different voice is coming out of me yelling constantly and having no patience...not to mention the amount of sleep I am requiring daily just to function. Then there is the constant nausea...worse than with any of my other pregnancies.

Gratefully two weeks ago my doctor called with a reason for my unusual pregnancy takeover...hypothyrodism. She put me on a medication and I am now feeling the effects of normalcy again. Speaking sweetly to my children, having the desire to get dressed in the day, wanting to eat food again, fixing meals in the evenings for my family instead of the bowl of cereal they were forced to eat (no complaints from the kids though).

A few of the other transformations have been from the kids. Connor is absolutely soaking up everything he is learning from pre-school and loves it. He comes home reciting poems, singing songs and sharing important safety information for our family. I have loved the change in him..but along with knowledge has come a fear of many things (ghosts, dark, noises). I suppose it is another one of those phases we will get through. He comes into our bedroom every night and asks to sleep on the floor.

Abigail is a leader. She leads the kids I tend into every kind of mischief possible. She is a girl and is transforming into one of those that wants to wear make-up all the time and has to have a comb in her hand to smooth out any tangles in her 'do. The biggest news is that she is now three years old and has learned her colors!

Carly Belle is still the busiest child on the planet. My neighbors daughter calls her a "monster", my nephew calls her "destructo," I call her crazy. Her smile and laughter are contagious, and it is hard to be angry with her after she does something naughty because she runs to you and gives you a big hug right away. This little girl knows what she is doing, and at nearly two years old, I am beginning to worry about the future and what lays ahead for us in the way of keeping up with her. What a tease.

Todd has passed his first licensing exam...only 6 more to go! He stays busy with his calling in the church and spends most of his free time at the library studying for his exams. We are anxious for him to finish those tests! Maybe then we will feel as though the education is truly finished.

What other transformations can I think of happening in our lives? Maybe I will share some with you after Halloween.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the no internet thing. I've been limiting myself to 20 minutes when I'm on and I feel like a new person!!!
I get you with the hypothyroid thing, too. I've struggled with it for 5 years now and when I'm doing something for it I'm a much better person, more focused, attentive, happier, everything!!!
I hope you start to feel better, pregnancy is hard...and I've only had to do it twice! You are amazing! And you seriously CANNOT even tell your pregnant! You look great! =D

Lindsay said...

Mel! Just thinking about you and wanted to drop a line and say hello! We miss you and your sweet family. Tyler and I drove by Mt. Auburn the other day and thought of you. The leaves are changing and fall is in the air. I cannot believe Abigail is 3! Seriously has it been that long? Congratulations on your new baby on the way, I am glad you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

Since my thyroid cancer scare I have been on synthroid for my hypothyroidism. Finding the 'right' dose is still a challenge for me. Keep me posted on what you take and how much etc. I could use some help in that area.

Janel Ruzzi said...

I am very glad Todd has passed one of his tests. I am sorry your pregnancy has been so rough and hope it starts to get a bit easier on you. Maybe I should start limiting my own internet time and my house would actually get cleaned once in a while?!?

Live everyday to its fullest said...

I am so sorry to hear you have been so sick! I know the feeling and it is horrible! I am so glad to hear that the kids are doing so well...and WOOHOO to Todd for passing his test and getting his license!!!!! I am so proud of him! We miss you guys like crazy!!!!! And are still so sad we didnt get to see you this summer!!!!! Cant wait to meet #4! Love you guys!!!!!