Thursday, March 12, 2020

March Madness

On Thursday, March 12 around 9am, I received a phone call from my dad.  I was inside of Target in the bedding department with my coworker doing some shopping for one of the condo's we were prepping for a new tenant.  My dad called to ask if I needed him to pick up my kids from school.

Confused, I asked why, and he asked if I had heard the news.  I told him I hadn't and he proceeded to tell me that a student in the Murray School District had come in direct contact with someone who had tested positive for COVID-19.  I assured him that I wasn't worried.  It was likely in another school, my kids were strong and healthy. If there truly was something to worry about, I was certain the school would reach out to me and let me know.  I told him to go ahead with the regular plan and pick up the kids after school.

Then the texts started pouring in from the moms I carpool with.  Todd started getting texts from Connor and then Todd called and said he was on his way to pick up Connor and Abi from the Junior High.  He offered to pick up the other carpool kids at the same time and then he told me why.  It turns out that the student who had direct contact with a COVID-19 patient attended the same Junior High.  So I agreed.  Todd picked up the Junior High Kids and Jenny Murphy brought home the elementary school kids.

A part of me thought this was all over-reacting and a part of me thought that it was okay.  Better safe than sorry.  My coworker was there for the whole conversation and encouraged me to call our boss when we got back to see what I needed to do.  We had no idea when this student had made contact with the COVID patient or if he had contact with Connor.  My boss told me to pack up my things and work from home for a minimum of 2 weeks.  So I did just that.

I forgot to tell my dad that the kids had all been picked up from school.  He called me at 2:40 wondering where they were.  I felt terrible.  He was the first one to tell me about it and offer to rescue them and I completely forgot to tell him that they had been rescued.

That evening we had a family council and discussed what was going to take place for the next 2 weeks and agreed that it would be nice to escape the chaos and go to the farm.  So on Friday morning we cleaned up the house, packed our bags and after the kids completed their first full day of digital learning, we loaded up that van and went to the farm.  Our oasis.

This put into motion a rolling stone that knocked out a whole bunch of activities our family had planned:

-That very Thursday night thru the following Monday, Abi was going to portray Little Red in the school's musical, "Into the Woods."


-Dakota, Abi & Carly were supposed to share a musical number in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday, but lucky for us, they first performed it in Tammy's ward Relief Society Activity that week, so I stole a video of it


-I had a listing appointment

-Dakota was supposed to share a leprechaun trap for Activity Days

-Carly was going to miss out on Piano Lessons for a little while

-Dakota's tap lessons were put on hold

-Dakota also didn't get to finish out his Volleyball season (he had successfully completed 2 lessons)

-Carly Belle doesn't get to start her next season of Basketball in April as originally planned

-My roots are going to start showing my true color, because my hair appointment keeps getting pushed off

-NCIDQ examinations will not be held in April, so I will not be able to take them until October

-By postponing the NCIDQ Exams, this means that we had to cancel our trip to England in October

But don't worry, as you soon will read, we turned that stones direction and forced it down another hill that, thus far, has proven to be very productive and beneficial for our family.


No comments: