Thursday, April 19, 2007

Virginia Tech


I don't usually want to say things like this outside of my own head, but it has really been bothering me
I must admit, I have almost tried to avoid watching anything on the news about what took place this week at Virginia Tech. So many lives lost. The reason I avoid the media...I think they're focusing on the wrong thing.

Instead of giving so much press time to Cho, they should instead be giving the air time to those people's whose lives were taken. Memorializing them through acknowledgment of their lives.

Cho is getting what he wanted, his name is known everywhere now because of what he did. He is still living, on the cover of our newspapers, every news channel has his face pasted on the screen and they are showing video footage of him. I don't think they should give him the time.

Those teachers and students whose lives were taken or who witnessed this horrific event deserve to be remembered with their faces on the covers of magazines and newspapers. Video clips of them from their lives should be playing on the news channels.

Maybe if instead of watching Sesame Street in the mornings, I could watch the Today Show...I'm sure there is some tv news program paying tribute to those lives lost by introducing the world to their families.

My prayers go out to the families and friends who have lost loved ones or who are suffering because of what took place.

If you would like to see pictures and a small bio about those whose lives should be remembered, click here

1 comment:

Heather B said...

I agree Mel, it's not good reinforcement for other psycho's who dream of being famous. Thanks for this post.