Sunday, November 11, 2007

One Week Later

The first week with Carly home has been wonderful. It's just as you could expect, those glorious sleepless nights (one night she did give me a whole 4 hours of sleep), being a milk-maid and taking as many naps as possible.

I can't complain. Connor and Abi are getting along better than they ever have before and Abi isn't as clingy as she used to be and doesn't seem bothered by Carly at all.

I have been going over to my moms house each and every day from 8-5. My poor mom has been trying her bet to keep up with Connor and Abi and letting me take my afternoon nap. I get to sleep with Connor and she tends to Carly and Abi. It's been so nice to have her help (I love you mom!) and to not worry about the kids during the day. During the hours that I am at my moms, I don't think I have changed a single diaper!!! I am so spoiled.

The worst part of this whole first week struck me at 3pm on Friday afternoon. I began to have a side ache and thought that it would go away, but it didn't. The pain got worse and it became more difficult to walk, or stand, or laugh or cough or anything like that. I tried to sleep it off, but having to wake every two hours to feed Carly proved to add to the pain.

At 5am, I woke and took some ibuprofen in the hopes that the pain would then be relieved some. Nothing changed. I called my Dr.'s office and got the Dr. that was on-call. He suggested that I go to the emergency room. My symptoms sounded like appendicitis.

7am, Saturday morning, I passed my little Carly off to my mother-in-law and Todd took me to the ER. After 5 vials of blood were taken to the lab, the results came back that my white blood count was very high, so there was definitely some type of infection. So the next step was to have a CAT scan.

They took the CAT scan, but the results of that were too hard to tell because my right ovary was inflamed and completely covered the appendix. I was off to Ultra-Sound where they did the regular and an internal ultra-sound to look at my ovaries, my uterus and the appendix.

At 3pm they finally came to the conclusion that the only thing that could really determine what was wrong was a laparoscopy. So they had the surgeon come in. He did a physical and explained that he would explore the uterus and the ovaries, but that in the end he was certain that I would just need my appendix removed.

My wonderful husband sat by my side the entire time. I couldn't complain about being hungry, at least I had a bowl of cereal that morning. But there he sat in a chair with nothing to read, nothing to eat and nothing to do but sit and wait. I was in and out of sleep the whole time, so I wasn't the greatest company. He never complained about his boredom or lack of things to do. What a good guy.

Sure enough, it was appendicitis and at 5pm, I awoke from my very first surgery, totally out of it and pain free!!! I got to spend one night in the hospital (a vacation?) and have to "pump & dump" until 5pm tonight. I am also on this liquid diet....totally annoying, but I will try my best to stick to it.

So, that's what's new in my life! I hope that you are all in good health! I sure appreciate today's medical technology and am even more grateful that we are back here with family. I couldn't have imagined burdening our ohana in Hawaii with three kids at 6am on a Saturday (not that any of them would have minded).

The kids were pre-occupied with all the outings that their two aunties, uncle, grandma and grandpa Riches took them on. Thanks family for all of your help! I love you and couldn't do it without you.


All about the Benjamin's said...

You are so lucky that this is your first surgery; I have had many. I am glad your ok and life is back to normal for you. Get Well Soon.

Live everyday to its fullest said...

Oh my dearest Mel, I am so sorry! You poor thing...and a liquid diet...YUCK! I wish I was closer so I could help out! I hope you feel better soon! MUAH!

Lori B said...

HOW ARE YOU?? Holy cow...I can't believe you went through all that. It wasn't enough that you just went through labor was it. You keep proving to be SUPER WOMAN/MOM.
Yes, you are truly blessed to have such wonderful family, friends and a great husband around to help out. BUT, you have to consider that you get what you give. You give LOVE and support to others and they are all doing as you would to them. The nature of life. It doesn't surprise how loved you are. It's easy to do!!
Glad your pain, surgery. Take care of your self!!
xoxo~~Lori B.

Becca Olsen said...

Mel, Wow that sounds like it was a lot to go through but i'm glad it's all sorted out and you are feeling better! How awesome that you had your family there to help! Love ya!

Heather said...

OH MY WORD MEL! How crazy is that??!! I am SO sorry to hear about the appendicitis (cat scans are fun, aren't they...) and everything, but wow, I'm so glad you're in Utah with your mom. Love you, hope all is well, get better!!

Nik said...

How come every time we get together something bad happens? I hope you aren't scared to play again!!!!!

Heather, Dan, and Family said...

Wow...what timing! I am so glad that you have your family close by. I always wonder what I would do in similar situations now that I am not by family and don't have you and Ashley for neighbors! I hope you are feeling all the way better very soon.

nicholeking said...

Wow, not a fun thing to have to go through right after welcoming a new baby into the world. How blessed you are though that this didn't happen while you were still pregnant! That could have been scary! Glad you are okay & we wish you a very speedy recovery! Can't wait to meet your new little one! Congrats!

Becca said...

wow, mel, glad you're okay! i would have totally stressed out to have to go through that with a newborn. that carly is a doll.

Shay said...

Congratulations on your new addition! I can't believe all you have been through. I'm so happy you are close to family though. I hope you are doing well and recovering!

koryandkatie said...

Wow! I hope you are doing better!!

Danielle said...

Hey, it was fun to see you at the hospital. I didn't want to chat long since you were in labor and everything! :)

Confessions of an almost 30-Something Drama Queen said...

Tagged...see my blog for details