Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pillowcase Dress


On Friday I got the itch to sew something.  I have no sewing machine and no super sewing skills.  Next to that, I have no money to spend on the necessities to sew.  What was I thinking?

I did however, inherit a box of fabric and other household items from my Grandma Spencer before she passed away.  So I began digging through it for inspiration.  There was this turquoise blue dust ruffle and the pleated base of it was just enough to do a cute top for Carly.  I also had tons and tons of ribbons on hand that my sister-in-law Andrea donated to my cause when she was cleaning out her home.

I had read about Pillowcase Dresses a long time ago and how easy they were to make.  So after a little research on the internet, these instructions seemed to fit my capabilities just fine.

So I cut out, pressed and prepped the dust ruffle.  I added some different sized black grosgrain ribbon to the bottom and spent an hour and a half at my moms house Friday night using her sewing machine (and expertise) making my first item of clothing for any of my kids!

I am so glad my mom was there to help out.  She encouraged me to use bias tape (which she had on hand) around the armholes instead of extra fabric and was there to calm me when I was worried of making a mistake.

Also while at my moms house, my dad came tromping up the stairs with this very heavy box, the handle made out of a rubber hose.  Inside was this beautiful and very old sewing machine.  I am going to try to oil it up and put it into action next week!  It only does a straight stitch, but at my level...that is all I need.  This was another of my grandma's goodies.  She was a very accomplished seamstress and crafter.  I will have to take a picture of a few of the items she had sewn/made and post them.

I found additional pink fabric in my grandma's box of goodies and plan on making two more longer dresses for both Carly and Abi to wear in the summer.  What a fun, easy and affordable project.

I realized that I have done a few more crafty things around the home that I haven't posted yet.  So I will get on it!

10 comments:

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Oh! my heck, this is SO cute.. Your so crafty and creative... I would not have a clue of what to do. I cannot wait to see your other projects.\
p.s. thanks for your concern in thinking it may have been my daughter Danica, thank goodness it was not but SO sad for the family who lost there little one. You were so kind and I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How cute! I love it! I'd love to learn to do that. I got a sewing machine last year (we cashed in credit card points for it of all things!!!!) and haven't had a chance to use it! My mom is an amazing seamstress and I'm too intimidated to get started on something!!!! I need to take a lesson or two from you guys!

Brooke said...

That is DARLING! I love that blue color and what a cutie patootie Carly is. I'm so impressed! I have gotten the sewing itch too, and barely know how to sew a straight stitch. :) But it's FUN! I feel so home-makey!!

Kat Clark said...

I totally just made one of these for the new baby this week! They are so easy and fun! She looks so cute in that color with her dark hair. I love little girls in blue.

Miranda said...

She sews too...what don't you go Mel? Awesome outfit. You'll have to teach me how to make them.

Becca said...

I love it. Hooray to discover a new world to explore!

Nik said...

All right... when is our sewing night? I love love love to sew and that is soooo cute. Bryn loves dresses and skirts more than anything in the world and I need to get going so she has some fun things to wear this summer!!!!

HeatherB said...

That dress is too cute...as is the model. I wish I woke up wanting to do something (and actually accomplishing something)! Way to go.

Janel Ruzzi said...

Very cute--both the dress and Carly!
I have a sewing machine, that doesn't get used very often that you are welcome to use too! (It has more than a straight stitch and a MANUAL!) I have tried sewing a few things, but never an article of clothing for my kids. The closest I've come is mending their stuff.

Live everyday to its fullest said...

Mel you TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!! You are so amazing! That is the cutest dress ever! And Carly looks so cute in that dress!!!!! Love the color! Cant wait to see whatelse you have in store!!!!