Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Make-Shift Chandelier

I know it's been a whole week. But I was in San Francisco for 5 days and now I am back into full-swing re-potty training Connor and Abigail. I can't let them out of my sight for a moment, or the accidents just so happen at that time. I have a headache.

But I thought I would give you something short and sweet to consider doing yourself until I can post the travelogue of San Francisco.

I had seen here a fantastic beaded chandelier of sorts and thought it was something I might be able to fenagle myself for Abi's bedroom. So, I took some spare change I had been saving and hit all the 50% off stuff I could at Hobby Lobby to make this little wonder. This is what I came home with:

While the children napped, I turned on Jane Eyre and dismantled the picks, attached them to the embroidery hoop, finished the top off with some white satin ribbon. Then I finagled the contraption around Abi's already dainty light fixture, and here is the end result:

Yes, I know it somewhat resembles a jellyfish, but that just adds to the tropical flair that is already going on in there.

And, what tropical jungle isn't complete without a little leopard print? I found this fabric for $3 a yard and added it to the back of the already made panel and added a 1 inch border to add just a little more sassifrassiness to the window treatment.


Decorating on a shoe-string budget has proven to be rather fun, as I just add to each room as I can and the transformations are coming along. I like walking into the room and seeing something new every so often. It just freshens it up a bit and allows my creative juices to keep flowing.

I mean, honestly, what fun would it be if you were just able to walk into a home and decorate it exactly how you want it within the first month of being there. BORING. I like the changes (did I mention that we moved the baby grand again? Scroll down to the next post...it isn't in that corner anymore, it is on the right side of the fireplace).

10 comments:

Miranda said...

How did you make the Abi letters? That's what I want to do with Sami's name. Um...LOVE the Chandelier!!!

Janel Ruzzi said...

Very cute! You are the most creative person I know! How do you do it?

Nik said...

When you coming down to my house to help me with the baby's room???? The pink wall is now primed white again because Bryn decided she wanted to be in the back bedroom...... what to do what to do what to do?????

Kat Clark said...

I love that you take the phrase "Design on a Dime" to a literal translation and still turn out awesome decor. You are my hero! El Cheap-o Mel surprises me again! :) I need to take a tip from you when we move in our new house.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I really need to hire you! How much do you charge? You could do wonders with my house! It's so dated!

Emily S. said...

Wow! You are a very talented designer and seamstress! I am so impressed! Wes can sew better than I can :-)

Angie said...

I love it! I want to see the bed! I want to see how it turned out. Love ya!!

Nichole said...

Super Cute! I LOVE the color of the walls. I REALLY need you to come up to our new/old place and unleash your inner design genius for me.

Unknown said...

I had no idea how famous you are! I always knew how super talented you are. I saw your room on the design and dazzle blog. At first I thought that was where you got your idea. I had no idea it WAS your idea. Way to go. I really do need a spark of creativity to motivate me on my house. Cooper wants a ute room. And I never did Karly's room.

Play Blackjack said...

Matchless topic, it is pleasant to me))))